Friday 19 November 2010

Harry Potter Habits

Unless you’ve been living under a very big, very heavy rock for the last decade I’m pretty sure you’ve heard of Harry Potter (if not, shame on you. Stop reading this and go to a library, bookshop or Google depending on your location and time of reading). I am, quite unashamedly, a huge Harry Potter fan.

I fell in love with the books when I was nine and my grandma gave them to me, having originally bought them for herself but deciding they’d be “more suitable to your tastes”. She was right and I’ve been a fan ever since.

So, naturally, I’ve got all the books, and films released on DVD to date (the books are obviously better but the films are also magical, pardon the pun). I also ventured out for the last ever midnight launch for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and dream of going to Harry Potter land (I know the actual HP land isn’t real, I do mean the theme park).

So now the first of the two-part film adaption for Deathly hallows is out. Rather guttingly I’m unable to see it until tomorrow lunchtime but I’ve been inspired by some of the, mostly accessory, based fashion coming out of the franchise. I stumbled across all these items last night after a website I read posted about them. Unfortunately all of the necklaces has sold out and the headband won't ship to the UK. Boo. However for reference point...





l-r: Platform 9 3/4 necklace, Hogwarts acceptance letter necklace and Firebolt necklace from SixAstray on Etsy.com (all necklaces were sold out on 19/11/2010). Gryffindor headband from Summergirlsbowtique on Etsy.com (who also has Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw headbands in stock)



Now, make up wise to get in a Harry Potter mood is actually very easy. Pick a house (Slytherin, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw) and then base your colour palette on the house colours. All products I mention are on sale now either online or in stores. Obviously I'll be using products and colours I already own but the majority of make up brands will have these colours.

Gryffindor
Starting with my favourite house, Gryffindor is home of the golden trio, and the Marauders before them. The house colours are maroon (a deep red) and gold. Gryffindor's animal is a lion.

Nails
  • 17 fast finish nail polish in ‘Ruby Gem’
  • Barry M glitter nail paint in 'Gold'
Eyes
  • I'd reccomend sticking with just gold for this, or a light red eyeshadow with a sweeping of gold glitter dust over the top. Barry M 'Dazzle Dust' has various red and gold shades for you to pick from.
Slytherin




Gyrffindor's rival house, home to Draco Malfoy and recruiting grounds for the Death Eaters, Slytherin's colours are emerald green and silver like the serpent that represents their house.

Nails

  • Barry M nail paint in 'Emerald Green'
  • Barry M nail paint in 'Silver'

Eyes

  • Again this is where my love for Barry M products is manifested, the trio eyeshadow in shade 'Divine Destiny' has both green and a blackish silver perfect for Slytherin colours. However 17 Starry Eyes Trio Shadow in Galactic also has a good selection of greens easily blended in with a silver eye shadow.

Ravenclaw

Home to Hogwart's resident brain-i-acs and Cho Chang and Luna Lovegood. Ravenclaw are represented by azure blue and bronze tones. Their animal is an eagle.

Nails

  • Rimmel I Love Lasting Nail Polish in 'Azure'
  • 17 Precious Metals Nail Polish (Limited Edition) or Barry M Nail Paint in 'Gold'

Eyes

  • Barry M Dazzle Dust in 'Burnt Orange' or 'Bronze' to go on top of the blue found in Barry M Trio Eyeshadow set 'Paradise Passion' or 17 Solo Eye Shadow in 'Regal'

Hufflepuff

Last, but not least, is Hufflepuff. Traditionally known as the house with little rivalries to the other houses - except during the Triwizard tournament when relationships with Gryffindor were tested - and during Quidditch, Hufflepuff has been house to Tonks and Cedric Diggory. Their colours are yellow and black, the animal they are represented by is a badger.

Nails

  • 17 Fast Finish Nail Polish in 'Go Go' with Barry M Nail Effects on top
  • Or Barry M Nail Pain in 'Black' paired with the previously mentioned 'Go Go'

Eyes

  • 17 Glitter Eye Shadow in 'Night Sky' with Barry M Dazzle Dust in 'Yellow' over the top

And that, my lovely readers, is a full breakdown of how to show your allegience to your favourite Harry Potter house, via the medium of make up, should you wish to enter into the spirit of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...